Medication Therapy Management (MTM)
Helping You Safely Manage Your Prescriptions
Have you ever wondered if you are taking your medications correctly? Our experienced MTM pharmacists talk with you over the phone to make sure your medications are right for your health conditions. This FREE, comprehensive review with the pharmacist is available to eligible members and helps to identify, prevent and resolve medication related problems, while also helping to ensure your safety, security and peace of mind.
Get Started Today by Scheduling an Appointment through our new online tool!
During Your Appointment, the Pharmacist Will:
- Talk through your full list of medications one by one with you.
- Talk with you about what they see as potential medication-related problems or opportunities.
- Answer your personal questions about your medications.
MTM consists of two types of medication reviews:
A detailed one-on-one review between the MTM pharmacist, and the patient or caregiver. The conversation usually lasts about 15 to 20 minutes. If we identify issues, the pharmacist will work with your doctor to help resolve the issue. After this review the pharmacist will mail you a list of your medications and a to-do list based on your review.
We will also review your medications in the background using claims data to look for specific common problems. If problems are identified, the pharmacist may reach out to you for a brief conversation or may follow-up directly with your doctor.
After Your Appointment, the Pharmacist Will:
- Give you a current medication list to bring to doctor visits and keep in case of emergencies.
- Provide a written summary of your discussion, along with a list of recommendations to help improve your health.
- Help work with your doctor to make potential changes to your medication if issues are identified through your comprehensive review.
- Be available to help you with any future questions and follow up on any issues that are identified.
A Program That Brings Results
In just the first nine months of 2023, our MTM program has helped our members identify:
186 cost savings opportunities.
215 opportunities to change prescriptions from 30-day supplies to 90-day supplies.
224 cases where the medications prescribed weren’t being as effective as they could or should be, leaving a condition under-treated.
486 potential safety issues, including harmful drug-to-drug interactions, dangerous side effects and other health risks.
Frequently Asked Questions
To be eligible for this program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Your total Part D covered prescription drug costs are likely to exceed $4,935 in 2023.
- You have received eight or more distinct prescriptions for chronic conditions.
- You have at least three of the following conditions:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder (COPD)
- Heart Failure
- It can help keep you safe – Our pharmacist will look at all your medications to check for interactions and make sure nothing you’re taking will cause you harm.
- You’ll get answers to your unique questions and concerns about your prescriptions – with the full attention of the pharmacist, you can get the information you need.
- Side effects may be identified – You may be experiencing side effects from a medication and not even know it. If an issue is discovered, the pharmacist can work with your doctor to fix it.
- You can ensure you’re getting the best value from your prescriptions – The pharmacist can sometimes find a lower cost, equally effective drug to save you money or help you find assistance to pay for your medicine.
To speak with a pharmacist please call to schedule an appointment over the telephone.
Mistakes and oversights can happen. Our pharmacists provide an additional set of eyes to help ensure your safety.
Yes. If you have a family member who helps you with your medications they can speak for you. We can refer to your health care proxy or we will ask you to fill out a Protected Health Information/HIPAA Authorization Form, which will allow a family member or appointed caretaker to speak on your behalf.
If you are eligible for MTM and choose to speak to the pharmacist, the pharmacist will complete this Personal Medication List for you. You may also complete and print this form out for yourself.
Results That Bring Smiles
Take it from our Medication Therapy Management Program Participants:
“It gave me positive reassurance that I am taking the correct medicines and also taking them properly.”
“Anytime I call about something, I am taken care of quickly and very politely. I appreciated the one-on-one attention given. Having someone other than my doctor to speak with concerning my health is important to me.”
Independent Health is a Medicare Advantage organization with a Medicare contract offering HMO, HMO-SNP, HMO-POS and PPO plans. Enrollment in Independent Health depends on contract renewal.
Last Updated 11/3/2023