Drug Management and Safety
Independent Health can help you stay safe and healthy and manage your prescriptions through Medication Therapy Management.
Drug Utilization Management
Independent Health’s Drug Utilization Management program improves safe access to medications while addressing specific patient safety concerns. When you fill a prescription, our system identifies drug related problems and notifies the pharmacist before they dispense the medicine. Some potential problems we screen for are:
- Interactions between drugs – even prescriptions filled at separate pharmacies
- Duplications of medications – when a patient is receiving two or more very similar drugs, one may have been prescribed by a specialist unaware that the primary care doctor was already prescribing the other
- Dosage outside of the norm
- Drugs that should be avoided during pregnancy
- Drugs that may not be appropriate based on age or gender
Independent Health also monitors prescription profiles after they've been dispensed and will notify affected patients and physicians when:
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) releases new safety concerns about a particular drug
- Drug recalls occur
- Over or under use of a medication is identified
- Drug abuse or misuse is identified as a concern
Independent Health is a Medicare Advantage organization with a Medicare contract offering HMO, HMO-SNP, HMO-POS and PPO plans. Enrollment in Independent Health depends on contract renewal.
Last Updated 10/01/2021