National Imaging Associates (NIA) Administered Programs
Independent Health has teamed up with National Imaging Associates (NIA) to administer conduct radiology pre-authorization for advanced radiology.
Ordering physicians are required to request the pre-authorization and approval through
Contact our Provider Relations Department at (716) 631-3282 or 1-800-736-5771, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. to verify if these programs are applicable for a particular member’s plan.
Advanced Radiology Quick Reference Guide
View and download
this helpful Quick Reference Guide on requesting pre-authorization for Advanced Radiology Services.
- Advanced Radiology
This program is a radiology and imaging benefit management program
for non-emergent, advanced, outpatient radiology services designed to
ensure clinically appropriate care.
Advanced Radiology includes:
- Computed Tomography (CT)
- Magnetic Resonance Angiogram (MRA)
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Positron Emission Tomography (non-cardiac PET)
The OncologyConnections radiology management program provides management services for outpatient radiation therapy treatment for breast, prostate, lung, colon and rectal cancers, which will require medical necessity review.
The program provides for the following:
- Low-dose-rate (LDR) Brachytherapy
- High-dose-rate (HDR) Brachytherapy
- Two-dimensional Conventional Radiation Therapy (2D)
- Three-dimensional Conformal Radiation Therapy (3D-CRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS)
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)
- Proton Beam Radiation Therapy (PBT)
RadMD.com may be utilized to request authorization for the three programs indicated above or by calling NIA at
1-800-642-7452. If you aren’t a registered user of RadMD.com, contact RadMD.com at 1-877-80-RadMD.
If you are already registered, remember that RadMD.com gives you access to a number of supporting tools, such as clinical guidelines and code matrices. To access these documents, simply:
- Log in to RadMD.com.
- Under “Menu Options,” click on “Health Plan Specific Educational Docs.” Click on “Independent Health.”