Offered by Independent Health to residents of Erie County
The health coverage you need. The RedShirt Treatment you deserve.
You’ve got enough on your mind. When it comes to your health care coverage, Independent Health gives you one less thing to worry about. We make it fast and easy to enroll, so you can spend more time on other things that matter to you.
And our MediSource plan gives you the right Medicaid coverage to meet your needs and your budget — with everything you want:
- Large Provider Network with the best choice, so you can keep seeing your doctors.
- Wide Pharmacy Network helps you use the pharmacy in your neighborhood.
- 24-Hour Medical Help Line lets you speak with a registered nurse.
All with the Personal RedShirt Service That’s There for You!
- To be with you from day one and every step of the way.
- To make it easy for you to get the help you need.
- To give you friendly, helpful answers when you have questions.
More details on our MediSource plan are below:
Independent Health’s MediSource
MediSource is a New York State sponsored Medicaid Managed Care program for individuals with little or no health insurance who qualify for Medicaid. Independent Health’s MediSource plan allows you to choose your Primary Care Provider (PCP) and women can also choose an OB/GYN. Your PCP will provide your health care and refer you to other doctors if you need them. This PCP will provide most of the medical services you need, including checkups, shots, and treatments for illness.
You are eligible for MediSource:
- If you meet certain income, resource or disability requirements to be eligible for Medicaid, and
- If you are a New York State resident and a U.S. citizen or fall within one of the many immigration statuses and live in Erie County.
Applicable for certain prescription services.
Your MediSource benefits include:
- Doctor visits – well or sick
- Hospital stays
- Maternity care
- Laboratory tests and X-rays
- Emergency room services
- Family planning and reproductive services, including HIV testing
- Occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech therapy (some limits apply)
- Vision care
- Prescriptions (copayments may apply)
- Dental care – routine and emergency
- Behavioral health services managed by Beacon Health Options: including Children’s Treatment and Support Services (CFTSS) and behavioral services for Children and Youth Under Age 21
Emergency and non-emergency transportation are covered by regular Medicaid.
To get non-emergency transportation, you or your provider must call Medical Answering Services at 1-800-651-7040. If possible, you or your provider should call Medical Answering Services at least 3 days before your medical appointment and provide your Medicaid identification number (ex. AB12345C), appointment date and time, address where you are going, and doctor you are seeing. Non-emergency medical transportation includes personal vehicle, bus, taxi, ambulette and public transportation.
If you have an emergency and need an ambulance, you must call 911.
For more information about Medicaid Managed Care, call New York Medicaid Choice at 1-800-505-5678. For more information about Medicaid, call New York Health Options at 1-800-541-2831. To learn more about applying for health insurance through NY State of Health, The Official Health Plan Marketplace, visit www.nystateofhealth.ny.gov or call 1-855-355-5777.
Schedule a RedShirt Meeting
Select a convenient appointment time to talk to a RedShirt about which plan option is right for you.
Do You Qualify?
Choose the only health plan that comes with the RedShirt Treatment.
- Drugs Covered
- Find a Doctor
- Dental Providers
- MediSource Member Handbook
- Language assistance and Non-Discrimination Statement
- Erie County Department of Mental Health
- Mental Health Association of Erie County
- New York State Office of Children and Family Services
- New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services
- New York State Department of Health
- New York State Office of Mental Health
- New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities
If you are in Crisis, 24 hour Clinical Access is available to you. Please contact Beacon/Independent Health at 1-855-481-7038.