What is Child Health Plus?
Child Health Plus is a health insurance plan for children under 19. It offers a range of coverage options, from free coverage or a small monthly amount ($15-$60 per child/teen), to a very affordable full premium cost. Your income and the size of your family determine your monthly premium. You can enroll your child(ren) in Child Health Plus at any time during the year.
For additional information, make sure to check out some of our Helpful Resources.
Are you eligible?
Your child/teen may be eligible for Child Health Plus if they:
Are under the age of 19.
Have no other health insurance.
Are not eligible for Medicaid.
Are a New York state resident.
Do not have access to the public employees’ New York State Health Insurance Program (NYSHIP).
If you are unsure if you are eligible, call 1-855-355-5777. (TTY: 1-800-662-1220) Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.; visit the NY State of Health Marketplace or you can call Independent Health at (716) 505-8515 or 1-855-210-9930 (TTY: 711) Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Need to Renew?
We Make It Easy! Call Now to Renew.
New York state requires you to renew your child’s health plan once a year. The last thing you need to worry about is losing your coverage. When it’s time for you to renew, let us help!
Why Choose Independent Health?
As a member with Independent Health you get personalized service and the attention you deserve. Plus, Independent Health offers you benefits, including:
- A wide provider network, offering you plenty of choices and access to doctors.
- Help searching for a doctor, with access to our online Find a Doctor tool.
- Online member tools, where you can check your benefit summary, review claims and more.
- Wellness discounts at a wide range of community partners. Just show your member ID card!
- 24-Hour Medical Help Line lets you speak with a registered nurse anytime you have a health concern or can’t reach your doctor!
- More Quality You Can Trust. Ranked 5 Stars in the NYS Consumer Rating Guide for Medicaid and Child Health Plus Health Plans.
- We make it easy for you to get high quality care. Call an Independent Health RedShirt and we'll renew your coverage right over the phone!
Find a RedShirt
Select a convenient time at a location in your neighborhood to talk to a RedShirt about which plan option is right for you.
Benefits at a Glance
Lab Tests and X-rays
Prescription and Non-prescription drugs
Family planning and reproductive services, including HIV testing
Limited occupational, physical and speech therapy
For a complete description of benefits please see the Child Health Plus Handbook and Contract.