Using patient-centered medical home principles as its foundation, The Primary
Connection is a unique, innovative approach to health care delivery that includes a strong collaboration between primary care physician practices and other health care providers.
In partnership with Independent Health, The Primary Connection initiative currently includes more than 32 practices and 190 physicians throughout Western New York.
This physician-led approach connects primary care physicians to:
- Enhanced relationships with colleagues, including specialty care physicians, to allow for greater, more seamless care coordination.
- New resources and programs to assist in practice transformation and care delivery, including the adoption of a service cooperative that will provide convenient and easy access to shared services, such as nutritionists, dietitians and social services.
- Transparency of information and advanced analytics to empower both physicians and patients to make better, more informed health care decisions.
- Health information technology and electronic medical records (EMRs), which will eliminate waste, costly duplication of services and other inefficiencies across the health care system.
- A dedicated Physician Leadership Council made up of community physicians and community leaders that will foster collaboration and shared ownership of The Primary Connection goals.
The Primary Connection leads the way to better care by:
- Giving patients the attention and care only their primary care physician can give.
- Connecting primary care physicians with their primary care team through improved practice satisfaction and team vitality.
- Taking a collaborative care approach with specialists and other health care providers to improve the patient care experience, and ultimately the patients’ health.
- Gaining recognition within the community by being recognized as a cutting-edge practice in the community and well positioned to meet the demands of health care reform legislation.