With all the attention concerning the major data breach at Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, we wanted our customers to be aware of the steps Independent Health takes to protect our members’ data.
Independent Health has a comprehensive information risk program to identify, prevent and mitigate risk to our operations and systems. We assess these controls regularly to help us meet or exceed the latest regulations, laws, standards, and security best practices.
Our information security measures include the protection of our systems and members’ data by:
- Regularly assessing our systems to identify potential issues, such as conducting reviews of our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- Implementing systems and controls to automatically block and prevent unauthorized access to information from unknown or untrusted sources.
- Requiring complex passwords on all computer systems; these passwords are changed regularly.
- Encrypting company e-mail and the data on all company laptops or other removable storage.
- Physically destroying all electronic storage used at Independent Health upon the end of its useful life.
- Verifying our technical security with outside security experts on a regular basis.
- Regularly assessing the privacy and security controls of our vendors, as well as, requiring our vendors and contractors to sign confidentiality agreements, and make them agree in contracts to protect data.
At Independent Health, we are committed to maintaining the privacy and security of our members’ personal health information. Our policies, procedures and controls help us maintain our members’ information in a safe and secure manner, and our efforts and strategies continually evolve and change to maintain the highest level of security possible.