In order to keep your employees informed, it’s important we have their email address
It’s never been more important to stay connected and keep our members informed. By communicating with our members in the way they want to be communicated to, Independent Health can keep your employees up to date with personally-relevant information unique to their plan and their individual health needs. When members create a secure online account they provide an email address, giving us a direct way to communicate with them.
Helping employers address mental illness in the workplace though a unique initiative
Independent Health has teamed up with Horizon Health Services, one of the largest providers of outpatient mental health and substance use treatment in Western New York, to help employers recognize the signs of mental illness, understand what the employee is dealing with and respond appropriately during what may be a difficult conversation.
Even before our current societal challenges, employers had been increasingly seeking to retain and ensure a productive workforce by addressing overall health and wellness, which includes mental health concerns experienced by one in five adults, according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness.
Patients embracing growing trend of visiting with their doctor virtually
By Dr. Deirdre Wheat, Medical Director, Population Health Management, Independent Health
As the result of the Covid-19 pandemic, working from home has become the new normal for millions of Americans. Employers and their employees are now relying heavily on videoconferencing and other forms of technology in order to conduct everyday business and as a replacement for in-office meetings. The same applies to doctor offices, too.
Partnering to keep our community healthy and connected this summer
Although the past several months have been very challenging for all of us, Independent Health and the Independent Health Foundation remain committed to partnering with community organizations to help improve the health and well-being of the Western New York region.
From virtual programs and classes to activities and events, here are just some of the ways we are helping your employees get healthy, stay connected and have some fun this summer:
- For the ninth consecutive year, we have teamed up with the YMCA to offer Fitness in the Parks. In addition to holding free fitness classes at select parks throughout Western New York, we are also streaming a series of virtual classes on Facebook Live. This allows your employees to participate from the safety and comfort of their own home. The classes, which are led by YMCA certified instructors, include boot camp, yoga, fusion, cardio kick and kickboxing. All classes can be accessed through the YMCA Buffalo Niagara Facebook page and the Jamestown Area YMCA Facebook page.
- As the official health and wellness partner of Outer Harbor Buffalo, Independent Health encourages your employees to get moving and enjoy some fresh air on the 3-mile Independent Health Wellness Trail, which begins at Wilkeson Pointe and stretches just past Bell Slip. They can also rent bikes and kayaks at a discounted rate by showing their Independent Health member ID card.
- In partnership with Shared Mobility, Inc., Independent Health has brought the Reddy Bikeshare program back to the streets of Buffalo and Niagara Falls. The popular program continues to expand as more than 400 GPS-enabled Reddy bikes are now available for short-term rent at 85 stations throughout the Queen City and Cataract City. In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, Reddy Bike’s Fleet Team has increased bike cleaning and sanitation procedures. Plus, discounted annual memberships are available to your employees.
- Since 1992, the Independent Health Foundation has been dedicated to providing Western New Yorkers with the support and resources they can use to lead healthier lifestyles. To receive tips on healthy cooking, family activities, fitness, nutrition and more, your employees can follow the “Independent Health Foundation” on Facebook and Instagram.
- Independent Health’s Corporate Wellness Team, which is experienced in the fields of exercise and nutrition, has produced a series of instructional videos on a variety of health and fitness topics to show how exercising at home can be both easy and fun to do. Filmed in their homes, driveways and more, these videos demonstrate that exercise can be done almost anywhere, and how fitness can continue to be a priority in any situation.
View our Calendar of Events page to learn more about our community partnerships and for a full list of health and wellness-related happenings.