Buffalo, NY (August 3, 2018) – The Independent Health Foundation is continuing its successful program, Good for the Neighborhood® (GFTN), with five free community events in August. GFTN brings health screenings, educational information and a free farmers market to underserved neighborhoods in our community. You do not need to be an Independent Health member to attend.
The first event of the month is scheduled for August 9 from 6-7:30 p.m. at West Side Community Services, 161 Vermont St., Buffalo.
The programs in August will focus on starting a healthy school year: showcasing healthy recipes and fun nutrition education activities for kids. Each location will also be giving away school supplies to children present at the event, while supplies last.
Additionally, participants will be able to receive a free health screening for blood pressure, cholesterol and blood glucose level. Everyone who obtains a health screening at the event will receive a prize. There will also be an opportunity to earn an additional prize for having screening results in a healthy range.
The August Good for the Neighborhood events are as follows:
- Thursday, August 9, from 6-7:30 p.m. at West Side Community Services, 161 Vermont St., Buffalo
- Saturday, August 11, from 10am-noon at Martin Rd Elementary, 135 Martin Rd., Lackawanna
- Thursday, August 16, from 5-6:30 p.m. at Doris Jones Family Resource Building, 3001 9th St., Niagara Falls
- Tuesday, August 21, from 6-7:30pm at the Akron Newstead Senior Center, 5691 Cummings Rd., Akron
- Wednesday, August 22, from 5-6:30 p.m. at Westminster Community Charter School, 24 Westminster Ave., Buffalo
GFTN encourages individuals to more effectively manage and improve their health by developing and maintaining an ongoing relationship with their primary care doctor, encouraging healthier eating habits, emphasizing the importance of keeping a regular physical fitness routine, and encouraging smokers to quit and non-smokers not to start.
For more information about the GFTN, please visit http://www.goodfortheneighborhood.com.