Orchard Park, N.Y., September 15, 2015 - By taking part in the "Independent Health and Buffalo Bills Health & Wellness Challenge," thousands of Western New Yorkers have learned that you don’t have to train like a Buffalo Bill to be healthy and fit. Instead, implementing simple exercises and good nutrition habits into your daily routine can have a positive impact on your overall health and well-being.
The Health & Wellness Challenge was designed to motivate individuals to get healthier by meeting daily goals and completing "extra points" challenges for opportunities to win prizes. More than 2,300 individuals participated in the inaugural Challenge last fall and nearly 6,700 participants registered for the second Challenge this past spring.
The next six-week Challenge will run from October 5 - November 15. Those interested in signing up for this fall’s Challenge can register at buffalobills.com/thechallenge beginning September 20. Additional details, including information on the grand prize, will be forthcoming over the next few weeks.
Participants impressed with Health & Wellness Challenge
Engagement and feedback from participants of the first two Challenges has been extremely positive. According to a recent survey of 430 past participants:
- 98 percent said they would participate in future Challenges
- 98 percent said the daily goals were a good reminder to eat healthier, drink more water and exercise daily
- 96 percent said the Challenge had a positive impact on their health
- 96 percent said the Challenge motivated them to eat better and exercise more
- 96 percent would recommend the Challenge to a friend/family member
- 85 percent of participants exercised at least 3 times per week
A small sampling of the many comments from past participants include:
How the Health & Wellness Challenge works
- "It feels good to work out several days a week and the food I now eat on a regular basis tastes better than the unhealthy food I used to indulge in."
- "I find I need something ‘extra’ to motivate me … The Challenge gave me the ‘extra’ motivation I needed."
- "I found the Challenge in whole easy to fit into my daily routine. As a diabetic, I was trying to change both my eating and activity routines, and this Challenge was the right thing at the right time."
- "I recently had a baby and the Challenge helped me stay on track and lose 25 pounds of the baby weight I gained during the pregnancy."
- "I’ve struggled with an eating disorder for several years … this Challenge helped me really focus on being healthy."
- "I loved this Challenge because it wasn’t drastic, but contained easy – yet informative – health habits to adopt and after doing them every day for a week or so they really happened almost automatically."
- "This was a great program! It taught me how to eat properly and exercise daily to help maintain a good attitude towards life."
- "I am so grateful for the motivation I received from this Challenge. Thank you."
Participants in the Health & Wellness Challenge earn points by meeting three main daily goals:
20 minutes of physical activity a day
Eat five servings of fruits and vegetables every day
Drink eight glasses of water each day
Participants can also complete one “extra points” challenge each day. The number of points earned throughout the Health & Wellness Challenge will determine the number of chances participants have in the weekly and grand prize drawing. As an added bonus, participants who refer their friends, family and co-workers can earn 10 extra points for each person who registers for the Challenge.
Participants can keep track of their progress by logging-in at buffalobills.com/thechallenge. To be eligible to win a prize, participants must be at least 18 years of age and a legal resident of New York State at the time of entry.